Romance novels, what do you want from us?! I get it: create characters to drool over and a love that makes us cry!
Check out some of these major protagonist characteristics:
1) Gorgeous hair (you can’t just have boring stuff happening on your head); the ladies have uncontrollable hair of weird colours!
2) Rock hard abs and pecs (ROCK-HARD- are you going to use them as weapons?! As if not looking like a medical muscular diagram never got anyone a girl!)
3) Billionaires (who are always men with twisted minds, thinking money and position gives them some sort of right to dominance)
4) Broken…yeah, they have a tragic backstory. I know, tragic stuff pulls at our heart strings and makes us feel connected, but trying to make me feel sorry for a twisted-minded person is a bit of a reach
5) Untold beauty- the women are gorgeous, blonde, curvy-and-so-feel-undesirable, not-billionaires, sheep-like, possibly rude in the name of independence
6) Litanies of sexual encounters in the strangest graphic detail…it’s like everyone is doing that now! Let’s not forget the kissing that makes it seem as though they are all trying to devour (literally) each other!
It’s true; everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You can definitely love these kinds of books if you want to. Go after the innocent Mills and Boon ones; or perhaps you are on the Fifty Shades train.
However, remember when vampire novels all came and skewed our views on high school romance? Well, nowadays you have to blush through half the book at least, else it’s not romance. Few people can opt to choose the likes of Jane Eyre and Pride&Prejudice these days!
So for me, it’s overrated! And yes, this is just an opinion. You are entitled to yours! But to our esteemed writers with an interest in this genre, please give us new directional romances. I would be happy to read them, like, seriously.
If I’ve offended you by attacking your sexy highlanders and rogues with less manners, forgive me. Happy reading to all of us!!!!!
2017, let’s do this!